Sunday, April 3, 2011

Vegetables.......Not Their Favorite

Trying to get my boyz, both big and small, to eat vegetables is a losing battle. Fresh form our garden? Bleck. Cooked in creative ways? Bleck. Hidden in foods? Bleck (if they find out). Part of our adventures in the kitchen will be trying new and interesting vegetables to see if we can find some things they like. 

I let them pick out what vegetable they wanted to try. They chose Spaghetti Squash. Cool name. Doesn't even sound like a vegetable! I googled recipes and found one I thought might be a winner. It is a variation on a pasta alfredo dish. 

Prep time: 10 min total
Cook time: 50 min for the squash, 20 min finished casserole
Level: Easy

Recipe:
Med Spaghetti Squash, split in half, seeds removed
Brush cut halves with olive oil, place cut side down on baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes, or until fork easily pierces outside skin
Allow squash to cool slightly, then remove insides by shredding with a fork

To the squash, add:
1 can cream of celery soup
3/4 C water
1/4 C milk
1 C shredded swiss cheese
parsley, chives, salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Pour into casserole dish (I used a 9x13 glass baking dish)

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
Return to 350 F oven for 20 min.

Seth shows us what a Spaghetti Squash looks like.
 Ahren showing you the insides of the squash. They had a good time scooping out the seeds.
 Hey, this reminds us of pumpkins!
 This is how I cook, measuring by taste and a dash of this, a palm of that. 
 Stand back when you let 5 year olds add the pepper. I didn't and was sneezing for the next 30 minutes!
 Who wants to open the can of soup? Me, me, me!
 This made me nervous, but I had to let him try a little bit. He did really great and didn't burn himself. I did NOT let the two younger boys try. Trips to the emergency room are not included in our adventures!


Notes about the recipe: It didn't have much flavor, the dish was a bit runny, and the squash was still a bit crunchy not at all noodle like. Seth and I liked it somewhat, but the rest of the family did not. I didn't like it enough to want to make it again, at least  not with this recipe. I think it would be really good made with cinnamon and maple flavors, more like a sweet potato casserole.

3 comments:

  1. We LOVE Spaghetti Squash in our house. We make just like pasta - Cook it like you did in the oven, and then just put spaghetti sauce over it (and freshly grated parmesan cheese). YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that difficulty with veggies at our house. I keep trying. I haven't tried spaghetti squash at our house yet...we may just have to try it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try replacing the noodles in your favorite lasagna with the spaghetti squash. I do this and it is the only way my daughter will eat squash.

    ReplyDelete