Friday, March 4, 2011

Seafood Enchiladas

This recipe is a Wendy original. A couple of years ago when we first got the beach house in Galveston, I discovered that you can buy the biggest, best fresh shrimp right off the boats. I felt a bit like Forest Gump's war buddy, with all the shrimp dishes I was trying out. In my head, I had an idea for seafood enchilada's but when I searched for a recipe that matched my vision I came up empty handed. So I began to experiment and this is what I ended up with. I still tend to free-lance a bit and try new things but the basic recipe stays the same.

Level of difficulty: Fairly easy
Time to prep: 30 min
Time to bake: 30 min

Recipe: 
Burrito sized tortillas (10 in)
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
8 oz Fontina cheese, grated
8 oz Meunster cheese, grated
6 green onions, diced, including stalks
1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 lb shrimp (pre-cooked)
12 oz Imitation crab meat in chunks
Any other seafood you want to include
Roasted garlic, 3-5 cloves, mashed to paste*

Mix all filling ingredients and spoon into tortillas and roll closed
Place seam side down in baking dish


 This makes enough enchiladas that I end up freezing at least 2 more meals worth. They store well in the freezer.

Sauce:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 chopped green onions
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro 
2 cloves roasted garlic, smashed to paste *
Milk, enough to get sauce consistency
(This batch I threw in left-over baby portobellas, chopped)
 Top with grated fontina and meunster cheeses
Bake 350F for 30 min or until browned slightly and bubbly
Serve with sliced avacados, fresh pico, or whatever you fancy

* Roasted Garlic: Take whole heads of garlic, slice off tops, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cover with foil and bake in 350F oven 30-40 min or until garlic is browned and carmelized. Cool, squeeze cloves out of heads, store in tightly closed jar in the refrigerator. This garlic has a sweeter less intense flavor and is perfect to accentuate the seafood flavors without overpowering them. Yum!

The boys like these, minus the avacados, but it's not their fave. I tend to make them for the grown-ups and serve the little kids something else. No use wasting such yumminess on the kiddos. Oh, and all that cheese? A little calorie heavy but so worth the splurge.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds divine. I need to try those. I will eat almost anything shrimp. Yum, yum! I know my kids will turn up their noses at it more than likely unless I don't tell them what it is in it. But that is more for me anyway. :) And my thought with cheese is there can never be enough...it is calcium, right? Oh, and I just started eating avocados in the last two years. Now I love them. So there is still hope for the boyz.

    ReplyDelete