Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dog Treats

This has been a week of frenzy around here so my first food post is a total cop out! We made dog treats. Yep, you heard right. Treats for the 4-legged members of the family. I bought a set of 3 dog bone cookie cutters made by Martha Stewart, but the dogs didn't seem to care the treats came out so cute. No need to spend the money, they will eat lumps shaped like cow patties just as well. 

Level: Easy
Prep Time: 10-15 min
Bake time: 20 min

Recipe: 1/2 C water
1/2 C oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbls peanut butter
2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C cornmeal
1/2 C oats

Mix wet ingredients in bowl, add dry ingredients and mix until dough forms a ball.
Roll out on floured surface, cut/shape treats.
Place on non-stick or lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake 20 min. at 400 F. Turn off oven and allow treats to cool in oven until crisp and hard. 
Store in an airtight container. Remember, these have no preservatives. 

Aren't they cute? 

Full of good proteins and fiber for dogs. But are they yummy?

Jolie says 'Watch your fingers, I just might snap one off in my rush to grab the cookies!' 
 Buster says, 'Huh? sniff sniff sniff What is this? Do I like this? I guess I'll eat it, but where is the chicken?'
 Aspen says, 'Nom nom nom. May I have more please?'
Aspen is the reason I decided to try home made doggie treats. She was spayed this week and there were complications. I had to take her back 4 days in a row for bandage changes and such. She wasn't eating, although she was drinking. I know she loves 'people' food so I thought I could get some good stuff into her this way. I was right! She has been snacking away and that brought back her appetite and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment